Crepps Home Inspection LLC


Are you interested in purchasing a manufactured home using a mortgage lender? Or are trying to sell or refinance a manufactured home that you own?? If so, you have probably noticed that additional criteria are required to purchase a new or existing manufactured home. Mortgages are available to buy new or existing manufactured homes, but they often need a foundation certification or design. These requirements are because most mortgages written by a lender are almost certain to be insured by the FHA, a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) division. As a condition of being the insurer, the foundation is required by the FHA to be designed and sealed by a licensed Professional Engineer. In addition, the design must comply with FHA guidelines and this requires a professional engineer to certify that the foundation meets the FHA requirements for existing homes. The HUD Permanent Foundations Guide for Manufactured Housing, publication number HUD-007487, is the basis for the FHA requirements.



cross straps and base plates

A foundation certification to verify that the foundation is present, permanent, and functional is often a requirement. 

A permanent foundation is “constructed of durable materials (concrete, mortared masonry, treated wood) and be site-built.” Since the manufactured home isn’t site built, the foundation must be certified to be site built. The foundation must “have attachment points to anchor and stabilize the manufactured home to transfer all loads to underlying soil or rock. The permanent foundations shall be structurally developed per this document or be structurally designed by a licensed professional engineer.”

Tie-down for manufacture home

manufactured home pier

The manufactured home needs an inspection, and an engineer’s certification, in order for a lender to verify the home meets these requirements.

At Crepps Home Inspection, we are not structural engineers, but we have partnered with one of the country’s largest engineering firms specializing in permanent foundations certification for manufactured housing. We can help you and your lender get the engineering certification needed for the permanent foundation of your manufactured home. Give us a call. We would love to help.





Manufactured Home Engineering Certification